Department of Water Resources has been formed on 1 January 2009, following in a modern way the activities of the original Faculty of Agronomy, University of Agriculture, specializing in farmland water resources. These activities continued since the foundation of the university in 1952, being preceded by the education in agricultural subjects presented by the CVUT (Czech Institute of Technology, Prague). At present, Prof. Ing. Svatopluk Matula, CSc. is in charge of this Department.
Hydropedology, Soil Physics, Surface and Soil Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Water Management in Agriculture and Natural Water Resources rank as top priority subjects at the FAFNR since the School has been founded. In addition, the Department also specializes in water resources development in the arid and semi-arid regions of the developing countries, namely in Africa.
The Department of Water Resources presents mainly the subjects investigating the mutual relations between the soil and water, the ground and water, and available water resources, resp. water sources finding, utilization, and management. The faculty and staff do participate in lecturing in the prestigious International Magister Program “Natural Resources and Environment“ and Bachelor Program „Sustainable Use of Natural Resources“. Some department faculty members teach in Bachelor, Magister, and PhD programs abroad on regular basis, for example in Finland, Estonia, etc.
Director of Bachelor Study:
„Sustainable Use of Natural Resources“ – International BSc. program FAPPZ presented in English.
Director of Magister Study:
„Natural Resources and Environment“– International MSc. program FAFNR presented in English.
- Soil/Ground and Water Relations and its modeling.
- Water Retention in Soil and its modeling.
- Defining of Hydrophysical Characteristics of the Porous Media by in situ and laboratory methods.
- Monitoring of Soil Moisture Change Dynamics by Non-Destructive Methods – participating in the world-wide research network.
The Department participates actively in the international institution such as ICID, International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS), International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS), European Geophysical Union (EGU), etc. Moreover, the Department runs grant projects on national and international scale as well (6. RP EU in Africa). The Department faculty and staff are teaching in regular study programs on universities in and out of the EU. They also do actively participate in the EU Program LLP-ERASMUS.
The Department is also closely cooperating with many home and foreign institutions having the similar curriculum,for example:
- BOKU Vienna (Austria)
- Wageningen University and Research Centre , Wageningen, (the Netherlands)
- Cranfield University (UK)
- University of Ghent (Belgium)
- Catholic University of Lovain (Belgium)
- TU Dresden (Germany)
- University College Vitus Bering in Horsens (Denmark)
- University of Applied Sciences Hämeennlina (Finland)
- Research Institute of Hydrology, Slovak Academy of Sciences (Slovakia)
EXPERIMENTAL TERRAIN STATION OF SOIL MOISTURE DYNAMICS