The department was based in 1952 as a common site for mathematicians and physicians at Faculty of Mechanization of the new independent University of Agriculture in Prague. The physical branch was separated from the mathematical branch very early in 1952. The first head of the Department of Physics was Associate Professor RNDr. Václav Pospíšil, pure physicist oriented to methodology of teaching. After his dead in 1961 the Department of Physics was headed for 29 years by Professor Radoš Řezníček, DSc. Under his managing, the department increased from the initial nine persons (1955) up to twenty persons at the end of the 1980-s. At that time number of teachers oscillated between 6-11 depending on different additional courses taught by the department (Cybernetics, Agrophysics, etc.). The staff increase was caused by important participation of the department in the research activities including their co-ordination. Between 1990 and 2006, the department was headed by Associate Professor Josef Pecen, PhD, which also participated in the University management. From 2006 the department is headed by Professor Jiří Blahovec, DSc.